Friday, June 18, 2010

It's hot.

I have a confession to make. I haven't touched my sewing machine in 2 weeks. That is a pretty long time for me. But what is really shameful is the reason for this. My sewing room is upstairs on the third floor of this very old house and it is like sewing in a furnace. Right now the thermostat is set at 70 and the air seems to be working hard to keep the downstairs a balmy 80. Up there it feels like 90. I did have a fan in there, but my husband stole it for some very worthy purposes. It's not like it would be that hard to buy a new one. But we haven't.

I hate this, because I have about million ideas swirling around in my head, but as soon as I go up there they melt or something. I lose all motivation. (How is keeping the room hot supposed to be good motivation for sweat shop sewers??) I had big plans to make a dress tonight for a wedding we are going to tomorrow, but as of now, I might have to go in a burlap sack or something. Or nothing.

So instead of sewing I sat down here on my dumb ol computer and tried my hand at the whole treasury- making thing on Etsy. (Happy 5th bday to them today!) That seems like a giant waste of time you say? Well, yes. But it is pretty fun if you get excited about pretty handmade things like I do. And it's not such a waste of time if it helps any little sellers get some exposure.






You can see the listings of "Black Summer" here and "Ode to Chucks" here




(I just realized I need to make a blog signature. Coming soon.)


2 comments:

  1. Hey Jessica - I just checked out your doily top you mentioned. SUPER CUTE!!! I love it! Great Etsy links, too. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am experiencing the same problem with my sewing room. All my projects are sweat stained before I ever put them on. Hearing that you gave up on sewing the dress discouraged me greatly. I have a wedding in two weeks and need to make a dress for it. Otherwise I'll be attending a delightful evening wedding in dress jeans - yeah for maternity. I hope you get a break from the heat soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.