Thursday, July 21, 2011

Oliver & S sew-along anyone?


I finally bought this book on an impulse when I stopped by the shop the other day for some fabric. I've been eyeing it for a while, and decided it was a good way to put my 25% discount to use. (Yes, you should be jealous. Heehee)

If you are like me, you have a bad habit of collecting craft books and maybe doing one project out of them, more likely none. I think we are all guilty. But this one is just so good I can't let that happen. I really want to make every single thing in here! 

.




I didn't realize this until I bought it, but there is a page you can tear out in the back to cut out their signature paper dolls. Then you cut out all the little accessories on the book jacket to dress them up in. How freaking adorable is that?




The kids all had fun with the paper dolls this week. Even the two boys, not pictured because they enjoyed the paper dolls in a bit a different way. Namely, running them around the room bouncing off furniture with the penguin backpack. I did think it was precious that Hendrix specifically asked me to cut out the little sewing machine for him so he could "make sew." He's been watching carefully :)



Anyway, since my recent foray into Oliver & S patterns, (see an Ice Cream Dress I made and pattern review here) I am completely in love and want to make all of them.  

But I need craft book accountability from my interwebs friends. So if I organized a bit of a sew-along through this book, would anyone be interested? I'm thinking I would probably do it over 6 months or so, just one project or two of the simpler ones each month. Low pressure, make as much or as little as you want to, and we will all share our pictures and sewing adventures. If you don't have the book yet, I think you can find it for less than $20 on Amazon, and the high-quality patterns are well worth it. 

Here's a peek at some of my fave projects to entice you:







Adorable right? And all completely necessary. Please leave me a comment if this is something you would like to join in on! .... or even if you just want to see me do it all by lonesome and shout hooray from the sidelines.













20 comments:

  1. I also have the book, and made two of the capes. I photocopied the pattern much smaller and made a matching doll cape too. I'd join you, it does seem like a good idea to actually make some of the items in the book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I'd love to hear how shrinking the pattern worked out for you? I'm dying to make it for my daughter but she's only 15 months.

      Delete
    2. Amy, I'd love to hear how your shrank the pattern. Did it work out ok? I am dying to make one for my daughter but she is only 15 months old.

      Delete
  2. I would be up for it! I will probably only be able to do a few, but I do love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have seen this book so often in blogs but i think, my daughter is to old for this adorable patterns. (she is 7 1/2) can you tell me, how many sizes are in this book?
    i LOVE the hat!!

    greez from germany
    lina

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea! I would love to do it! I've been wanting to make a little backpack for Redding and those look cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. May be just what I need to get started!
    Will you start at project one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what fun!! I have made the hats and just about done with the exporer vest, three of them. I would love to join in a sew along too. I am wantig to make EVEYTHING in the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Duh, I'll do it. Better get the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will join for sure!
    Thanks,
    Erin
    emstone28@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would join in. I've already made a bucket hat from this book and have more of the patterns on my "to sew" list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am the same way--I love all of the patterns in the book (which I purchased a few months ago), but have yet to make a single one. Maybe this will push me forward!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the book, and the only project I have done is the sun hat. It is a great, great pattern. Next, I really want to do the puppet theatre! I will so join in on that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe this would actually get me in the habit of sewing again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Count me in! I've made the bucket hat, and have purchased fabric for a couple of the other projects so a sew-along sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in too! I've made 2 projects already but have several others on my to-make list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the book and would love to do a sew-along for the backpack :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just sent you a message and would loved to join in this sew along :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bought the book recently and have yet to do anything but drool over all the patterns (shameful, I know) But I'd love to join! I'll start in on the bucket hat this month!

    (came here via the Olver+S facebook page)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's been a while... How's the book going? Dusty or well thumbed?
    I'm working on knocking the whole thing over, so I'm definitely "in" for your challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.