Monday, November 14, 2011

Loulouthi Tiles Finished!



Here it is, my Loulouthi Tiles quilt, done and done. I started this quilt back in June when I was still in the middle of my very first quilt ever for the modern quilting class I took. This weekend I finished. Why? I don't know. It was really awful timing to finish this quilt. Although I love it, there was absolutely no reason to finish it. And my #1 machine is still in the shop, so I actually made the effort to spend extra time at work to do most of that very heavy straight-line quilting. (Which I also love, but wasn't really necessary on this already unnecessary quilt. The thing is, I have another quilt that does have a deadline and really needs to get done this week. But I did this instead. My husband and I decided I have focus and time management issues. Just like college.





The back is quite crazy because I really didn't want to have very many scraps leftover. I honestly wanted to be done with Loulouthi forever. I had gotten quite sick of it after making this top and seeing it made into everything all over the internet and staring at it in the shop all the time. Well, I'm over that now. Finishing this has made me totally in love with the collection all over again. It's just an objective fact that this fabric is gorgeous.




Here's a close-up of the wonky log cabin I made just for fun. This is just one of those things you have to try when you start quilting. Then you will get log cabins forever. And you will get wonky. Win win.





Yes the quilting took forever and I often thought, "What is wrong with me? Why am I doing this?" But I knew the answer once I took it out of the dryer. I love that moment. 



Some things:

  • It's the baby version of Rachel's pattern, about 43" by 49"
  • I used Bella "Green" (Yes, it's just called green. Weird.) for the sashing. I'm just gonna say it: Moda Bella beats Kona. Any day.
  • I quilted it with aqua thread in diagonal straight lines about 3/8" apart. 
  • Binding is the blue Hugs and Kisses print, all by machine. 
  • I like it a lot and I'm probably keeping it. Even though I'm not a baby. 













{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations




Fresh Poppy Design



20 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL quilting! :) Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, you're not a baby. ;) You are hilarious, though! Your Tiles quilt is fabulous! I love it. The "green" you chose works really well with the prints. I haven't used my Loulouthi stash yet. I think I will as soon as I clear out some WIPs, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's lovely! and i really really love the back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a gorgeous quilt! I'd keep it too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is soooo gorgeous! I love your fabric choices and the stitching really is incredible. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! I am straight-lining a quilt right now & thinking the same thing - WHY? How far apart are you stitching? (My quilt is 48" sq & I'm doing 1/2" apart. Again, why?)
    Sometimes we just need to finish things when we finish them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I say it all the time, but I'm so dang proud of you. That quilt is gorgeous and well worth all the time that it took!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's awesome...and hopefully inspiring enough to finish your deadline quilt. keep it and enjoy your work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty Jessica! I especially love the quilting and your wonky block on the back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a beautiful quilt - I like seeing loulouthi in big tiles like this. And the Bella green is such a nice choice for the background.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE IT! Yes, I just yelled that at you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, so pretty, Jessica!! Nice work, punkin'.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I'm visiting from fabric Tuesday.
    Your quilt is gorgeous, love the back and the front. Wow to the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree about log cabins. Doing one wonky made me "get" wonky for the first time. Love the quilting. Wow! So, how was your binding experience? It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this = amazing!!!!! I am so inspired!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks great! The back is as awesome as the front. I wish I could say I quilted this at work. :-) Also, I know how you feel about the straight-line quilting. I feel like that every time as well. Then I remember when I'm finished why I did it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. it's beautiful. so jealous of you working at a fabric store!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! Such a gorgeous collection. I like the pieced back and blocked front. Delicious :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.